Film Studies (Media Studies)
The one-year Master’s programme in Film Studies approaches the study of film as a multi-faceted phenomenon, and trains students to critically and effectively engage with important shifts in film and cinema culture.
From celluloid to digital
The Master's in Film Studies at the University of Amsterdam is a unique one-year programme that offers a theoretically rigorous engagement with the field of film studies and visual culture. The programme approaches the study of film as a multi-faceted phenomenon, one that plays a vital and ever-changing role in contemporary digital media culture. Film Studies is situated within the internationally ranked Department of Media Studies at the University of Amsterdam, which brings together renowned scholars from a variety of media and theoretical perspectives.
Film Studies at the University of Amsterdam
- The programme invites students to engage critically and creatively with the field through a series of core courses in film-philosophy, media archaeology, and (trans)national and global audiovisual practices.
- Students also take part in intensive research seminars that explore specialised topics related to the expertise of the core film faculty.
- Each student writes their own Master's thesis, a major piece of independent research and writing conducted under the close supervision of a faculty member.
- With its many festivals, its rich cinematic tradition, its archives, museums and cultural institutions, Amsterdam allows you to immerse yourself in a nourishing and dynamic context that continually reflects what you are studying.
- Thriving venues for film and media culture include the Dutch Film Institute EYE, the International Documentary Festival Amsterdam (IDFA) and the International Rotterdam Film Festival (IFFR), as well as many local cinemas and exhibition spaces.
Research Master's in Media Studies
The Film Studies specialisation within the Media Studies Research Master's Programme focuses on the theoretical, philosophical, cultural and historical study of film and cinema. The intensive and selective two-year programme has been developed for students with proven ability in, and passion for, research.
Film Studies is an accredited degree programme of Media Studies. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a legally accredited Master’s degree in Media Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Want to know more?
Reread all of the information at your own convenience in our factsheet.
- MA Media Studies
- Regulier onderwijs
- 60 EC, 12 maanden